Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Still coming to terms with who I am!

I have been wanting to sit down and type up this blog for awhile now...however I have been avoiding it, for reason's that will become clear later. I had the rare, but always welcome and wonderful treat of having a long conversation with my bestie recently. Actually it was almost a month ago, but you get the idea. Between family, work, kids, and life in general it's not very often that we get to sit and have a long heart to heart. So this particular evening was a treat for both of us.

We, both being mothers, always talk about the children. We also end up talking about my Mr. Right, and her love interest. On this particular night however there was one subject in particular, I want to relate to you. I was complaining about something, no doubt I have absolutely no reason to complain about anything, being a woman however I can always find something! So I'm complaining about something or someone, and my bestie looks at me and says "Monica not everyone has the ability to just cut someone out of their life". Now I sat for a min and thought about this... Surely this statement, can't be true. Don't get me wrong I have heard many things about myself that I don't like to hear, but I have to admit to them...mostly 'cause they happen to be true. For instance I have often heard I'm loud...this is unfortunately true, I've heard I can be harsh with my opinion...also true, I've also heard I can be highly unforgiving...alas another truth. So I am not one of those people who has these bad habits, and refuses to see herself for what she really is. I see myself, and though it may not seem like it, I am striving to be a better person. This bit of information, I was apparently not ready to hear.

Now I just want to explain, there aren't many people in the world I will hear unfavorable truths from, my husband, my daughter, and my bestie are pretty much it. So I think it made it a bit harder to hear because it was she that said it.

So, we finished our conversation and I went home, with this nagging thought in the back of my head the entire time. Fast forward a week or more later, my Mr. Right, as I like to refer to him, and I were having a conversation. It was a deep and in depth conversation, some how it came back around to what my bestie had said. I told him I had never thought of it the way she put it and I was sure it wasn't to the degree she had implied it was. Then my amazingly wonderful Mr. Right said "Name one person who has ever broken your heart, that is still around. You have a way of erasing people from your life." I literally sat with my mouth agape. I mean two different people in just a couple of weeks both make the same observation about a personality defect I have, one that I guess I just never saw as a negative.

I guess I just thought that's what you were supposed to do, someone hurts you, you just make them go away...you just make them disappear. You move forward with your life, you don't forget, you just move forward allowing time to take care of the pain and my memories to give me the needed comfort of the missing friend, mother, dad, sister, brother, boyfriend, grandparent or other missing element. I never thought of it in the harsh light it is taken as. I have experienced this on the other end, as well. I have been erased. I have been removed from some one's life to the point of barely being recognized when we happen to run into each other. I know what it feels like. It doesn't feel any better from either side. I guess the idea that you just fight it out with someone and make it through the difficulty never dawned on me.

It's not as if I have a constant revolving door of people that come and get "erased" out of my life. I think I will let someone hurt me, until I just won't anymore. I have always had the theory that a woman will take something for so long then she just won't take it anymore. I feel I live that theory. People who have disappeared or been "erased" by me have had numerous opportunities to redeem themselves. Weather they didn't succeed or just didn't want to or did redeem themselves, just to make the same mistakes over, I feel I can only let someone break my heart so many times. The definition of insanity is: Repeating the same action over and over again expecting different results. Therefore it stands to reason that a person who hurts you repeatedly probably will continue to do so for as long as you will allow them to. If one accepts the previously mentioned reasoning as common sense then the only option to stop the "insanity" is to cut all ties with the person doing the hurting if for no other reason than self preservation.

Please don't misunderstand I am not trying to justify my choices, or actions, nor am I trying to apologize for my actions or behavior, I believe I am just trying to help others to explain why I do the things I do. I hate the idea that someone would hesitate to be my friend or get close to me for fear of becoming the next "victim" of my need to eliminate people. I want to make it clear it's not a need it's just a way I protect myself from being destroyed due to the callous handling of my love, affection, or friendship by someone. I have been saying for years I am the strongest woman I know. Part of that, in my opinion, is having the ability to know as well as to act when, for my own survival and happiness, I have to remove a cancerous negativity from my life. I am not saying it's something I'm proud of, however I do think it speaks volumes to my need to be surrounded by positivity and people who are in my corner cheering for me not cutting me down at every given opportunity, or telling me how I will never be capable of anything more than what I can do or am at this moment.

So to wrap up my rant, yes I do tend to put an expiration date on people who choose to be negative or get a thrill when someone else is down and they can laugh or use it to their advantage. I am not saying I am the most wonderful person or friend in the world, 'cause believe me I'm not. I do strive though everyday to be a better person, mother, wife and friend. I am by no means any where near where I would love to be one day. I do believe that all I can do is keep trying and hope that one day I will be the woman I hope to become, one that my daughter will be proud to call her mom...one that my husband will be proud to call his wife...most importantly one that I will be proud to call myself.

4 comments:

ronda said...

First off, I obviously don't have a fear of being "cut" for any reason or any purpose.. LOL. I think we've had one fight in how many years.. and that lasted what a whole month *gasp* hehe. So of course, i'm gonna tell ya how I see things.. why would I not even if you take it differently? puhlease!

With that said... I stand by my statement that not everyone is capable of cutting people out. Not that this is a character flaw of either side of the coin.. few people can... most people can't.. (or won't.) It's not black or white... it doesn't make one stronger, tougher, or more logical either way. As with all emotional relationships, each vibes on it's own wavelength.
Familial relationships are a whole nother ball of wax because your kids will always be your kids, etc.. etc... and most people learn to relate to these ppl at a young age. You set the standard for these relationships and your role in them fairly young. So as an adult, you've grown and changed but sometimes our "roles" are still being played out as if we were still children. Your "part" of the family dynamic is almost entirely set in stone. These relationships are stronger than friendships usually because most ppl don't just throw up their hands and say "well, your just not my kid anymore.. screw you!" lol just saying it's NOT a common thing to do...(obviously ppl can and are capable of doing just that), it is really almost an impossible thought to just say..."enough!" because they are a part of you and your integral world and have been since either your birth or their birth and you can't just go out and replace someone in these roles. You learn to relate in a completely different way.

Other influences come into play and others my get the finger pointed at them... (ie.such as my sister never acted that way before so it must be this new guy's fault that I don't like the way she's acting....) because it is easier for us to place logical blame on someone not related to us than to someone who is... because it is hard to except that this person is not the person you have known for X amount of years... the person YOU know... everyone grows and changes of course... but familial relationships have rigid lines. And when you "think" you KNOW the person.. then that person logically doesn't ever CHANGE in your viewpoint... because your the sister, mother, cousin,etc..and you grew up with them therefore.. YOU KNOW BETTER than anyone else possibly could? right?
When in fact, it's entirely possible that they don't really truly know you at all.

ronda said...

Say Shy is 22 and starts dating someone you think is totally beneath her( which lets face it your gonna think everyone is totally beneath her) ... she starts seeing you less and less, stops her usual habits and is making new habits with this new person... It's not that guy's fault, that she is changing ,of course,it's her own path and herself that is developing( for better or worse depending on the viewpoint)... and your not going to like it.. or him for messing with your world... because your her mother.. YOU know her best right? and this new person obviously isn't the best thing for her... LOL... just giving an all too familiar example. Things change, people in our lives change, but your family doesn't really budge much.. why? cuz it's as if we are set in stone... and most people really don't say ... wow, look at how you hurt me over and over again.. your no longer my mother or whatever... you may not talk to them for awhile.. you may distance yourself for "your own protection".. but in the end.. that's your family and to see them in a different role or a different light or dynamic.. is next to impossible...
and it's extremely UNCOMMON... to "cut" these people out.. because they hurt you over and over... families do that...even normal ones.. my brother has hurt me more and more each year.. yet he is my brother, i'm not capable of NEVER talking to him again because he hurt me or throw my hands up and say.. well your no longer my brother! We hurt each other growing up.. We hurt each other now.. sometimes hurt isn't even a bad thing..it's just another growing experience. If you never knew pain or suffering or negative things.. how would you know the good and positive things? Sometimes it's the hurt that makes us stronger... sometimes it's the pain and forgiving that make us stronger... you don't even have to like or enjoy who your related too.. but you will in the end.. accept the pain, forgive, and hopefully learn. That's what life is really about isn't it?

Yes, my mother wasn't the best mother... by far she's the craziest person i know... in the end.. she's still my mother and as you well know... it would be like cutting off your own arm.. how you did it.. I don't even begin to comprehend. We could go back and forth.. because you see it as self preservation... but i see it differently esp. in my own relationships... my mother made me strong.. my mother taught me many lessons no one sane could have. The "universe" knew I needed to learn patience and tolerance... this I am still working on and no doubt will til my dying day... but the universe always has a way of making you face the things you need to and throws people in your way til you get the message. You could throw over every family member you ever had.... doesn't matter.. if you didn't learn the lesson.

I didn't talk to my mother for a few years... in those years do you think i got out of it? Nope, it just threw other people in the way, my husbands family for instance. They didn't like me and didn't approve of me etc etc.. but I still had to learn how to deal with these painful issues and the hurt and negativity that came with it... my mother is in my life now because i had to learn to see things from her perspective.. as rotten as that was.. i'm by no means perfect or anything.. just saying sometimes... you can't and won't be able to just "cut" people out... because these are the people who we learn from the most.

ronda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ronda said...

your definition of insanity isn't exactly off... it reads : The definition of insanity is: Repeating the same action over and over again expecting different results..

PLEASE REALLY READ THIS>>> sometimes your action needs to be different if your wanting another result. ...your repeating the same patterns yourself.. in all your familial relationships.. because and i'm just gonna say it.. are you... you have to be willing to look at the opposite side.. esp if you want a different result.. Only YOU can change it ,that's true... but cutting people isn't exactly dealing with it necessarily... because another person will pop into your life and hand you the same exact issue.. YOU have to be willing to look at the other angles.. you have to be able to open your heart and accept all the wonderful goodness and horrible pain.. and if your wanting a different result in your relationships.. your right YOU have to change. It doesn't make you weaker... it will only make you better and stronger... and guess what...it's ok.. to admit weakness... we all have it. :)

I love you... please know I say what i am because of it.. so you can learn from it.. and take with you what you might.