Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rock Bottom

I had a familiar conversation with a very good friend today. She mentioned how her family was feeling the economic crisis, she said they had reached their financial rock bottom. I told her how I can relate totally. I explained we were treading water and had been for awhile. It got me to thinking about our lives and our government. Her family like ours is a two income family. My husband and I both work full time as do her and her husband, and yet we never seem to get very far ahead. Both of our families are very frugal with our money there are no extras. We rarely if ever eat out, we don't have expensive hobbies and if money is tight our hobbies are the first to go. For example my husband hasn't been hunting all season, though he's had many invitations. I haven't been to the scrapbook store in months, in fact my husband and I were just talking the other day about how proud we were of me because I have been turning out a lot of really beautiful pages lately, but haven't shopped for supplies. I wonder when were all working so hard to make our American dreams come true why do they seem so far away...why does it seem like the people who don't work has hard or follow the rules seem to get more....I know life's not fair, but some times I wonder why it seems so unfair to the good people. Why does our government continually seem to ignore our personal needs. It's an election year and I am disappointed by my options for a presidential candidate....there seems to be no real good answer in sight....it's not something that will be fixed overnight but there are definite steps that could be taken to make it seem fixable. Yet even as I write this I know no matter what promises they make no one is looking out for the "good" guy. The work 40-60 hrs a week and still come up short at the end of the month guy. The I don't think it's wrong to want to buy my children new clothes guy. What about us. I only had one thing to say to my friend I understand....I can't do much to help but offer a cup of coffee and an ear, but I'll do that as long as you need it....were all in this together until someone figures out a way to make it better.

0 comments: