Saturday, May 10, 2008

The real definition of maturity

So I looked up the definition of the word mature. This word has been thrown around a lot lately, a lot by me. The definition say its an adj. the meaning is completely developed; at full growth; something as a bond at a bank that is due and payable. So according to this definition, I am physically mature, other than the possibility of getting even fatter, I have reached full maturity physically. What I find most interesting is the fact that mentally, pyscologically a person may never fully mature. We as the human race are always growing and learning and continually "maturing", therefore in my opinion anyway, saying I am trying to be mature by handling a situation in a certain way is incorrect if I know how it will turn out. This is not maturity, but manipulation. If I know that by not telling someone what they have done to hurt me will lead to there being no solution then, I am not being mature I am simply manipulating the situation to be what I want it to be. However when I have tried to solve the issues by being available and making an effort to resolve them, and the other person involved chooses not to make an effort for their part of the situation, then that person is manipulating the situation, not being immature. I make this realization because I am tired of chalking everything up to maturity. Maturity or lack there of gets the blame for everything. Its not maturity's fault that I was hurt, its not maturities fault that I did not allow that person to know how I felt and what harm they had done me. And its not maturities fault that the person I speak or type of seems to have no desire to make this very volatile and hurtful situation disappear. I just wanted to make it clear to myself more than anything. Its not maturity its manipulation, the definition of which is to handle or manage shrewdly and deviously for one's own profit. Now there's a definition that fits my actions. And I must think until otherwise specified the actions of the other person.

0 comments: