Sunday, August 31, 2008

A horrifyingly Massive realization!

I was just in the shower, and while this is not a dramatic or eventful happening, what happened while I was in the shower was. So I'm enjoying my shower alone with no daughter or husband to share the space with it was truly a treat....don't get me wrong I love taking a shower with both my daughter and my husband, however sometimes a girl just needs to take a shower alone. So I'm having my shower....a special shower.... ladies you know what I mean the kind of shower where you can actually groom, because you have the room to stretch out your legs and shave....yep a truly wonderful experience. I don't know about the rest of you girls but when I shave my legs I like to prop one up on the side of the tub and really get it good. So I'm shaving and singing "Hairspay's" greatest hits "Hey mama welcome to 60's oh oh oh oh ohhhh go mama go go go...." so I'm shaving and singing and shaving and singing ahhh such subtle bliss.... I'm shaving while mentally reminding my self of where every scar came from and taking mental notes of any new freckles....is that skin cancer maybe hmmmm....silently berating my lack of self control knowing the dark spot on my left thigh wouldn't be there if I could control myself and not scratch itchy mosquito bites....damn those nasty little bitting shits. Any who suddenly I'm looking at my leg and the razor in my right hand stops mid calf....my left hand freezes in mid air with a soapy loofah dripping...."what....those aren't my legs....what the hell"....I readjust thinking It's just bad lighting....after all it's the middle of the afternoon so I chose not to turn the bathroom light on....being the "green" minded individual that I am....no still it's not right....maybe if I turn around....no still somethings wrong....then it hits me those aren't my legs....thier....no this couldn't be....oh no the universe couldn't be this cruel....thier....thier....My Mothers Legs.....Yep that's right.....Ohhhh the cruelty.....the inhumanity....the injustice....I look up at the ceiling....take a deep breath, gather up all my mental strength and look again....yep cellulite in the same spot....ankles on their way to becoming cankles....oh no....how could I have not noticed this....how long have they looked this way.....I know I don't shave as much as I should but I mean come on it's not been weeks or anything....I finish shaving and get out of the shower and stand in front of the mirror for a minute....My worst fear....I believe, every woman's worst fear, is terrifyingly realized....I look like my mother....not a little bit....not just the nose....or the hair....not something I can have surgically altered...(damn right I would I'm not vain just picky)....oh no it's everything....that's right the nose the chin the double chin (that I don't have....or will not admit to).... the ears it's all there the only thing that keeps me from being a carbon copy of my mother are the eyes....and just the color of them the shape is the same....I fight back tears and try to calm my breathing.....after all it's hot and steamy in the bathroom and passing out and hitting my head on the toilet while trying desperately to cling to my sanity during this traumatic realization would only justify some peoples expectations of the nut house being my next stop.....I finish drying off and continue my usual bathroom routine....deodorant....face wash....clean the ears....get dressed....little perfume...and I'm out of there I begin to breath normal again....I get a cup of juice light a cigarette and try to make sense of the situation....now I should explain I'm an over thinker....it's just who I am I over analyze and over dramatize almost everything....so I begin a run down maybe it's just physical or just the legs and the face....my mother loved the phrase "because I said so" I never say that....good....progress.....my mother smoked cigarettes, and drank iced sweet tea constantly....mental note quite smoking and find a new favorite drink....ok that's manageable....now what else.... my mother was a cna and changed the diapers of old people....I have spent the last 15yrs changing diapers of young people....mental note get a new career....I begin to breath heavily again, and decide to have another cigarette....mental reminder quit smoking....Oh to hell with it....I mean it's already happened right there isn't a whole lot I can do about it....women have been facing this horrifying realization since the beginning of time....I have turned into my mother....NOOOOOO!......AHHHHH.....okay the screaming helped, I feel spent all the emotions....Massive realizations can be so tiring....so I say this to all my fellow sisters out there who have or will experience this horrifyingly massive realization....I feel you....we can get through this....all we have to do is breath deeply....and keep in mind one day our daughter(s) will be in the same uncomfortable mentally challanging situation we are and then it will be our turn to sit back and laugh....not because it's funny....or fair....but because we have the wisdom of time and experience on our side....and possibly a little less sanity....but we'll have learned by then (hopefully) that mental health is overrated, and if we live life....truly live it feeling everything we can and taking everything we can and enjoying all we can and learning all we can, perhaps we will be able to look at our daughters and say positively, and with a loving smile, that's just life dear it's a circle and you have just continued it. Or maybe I'll be in the nut house on a couple of years, and I won't care about my mothers legs at all because I will have convinced myself I'm Elizabeth Taylor, in the early years, and I'm draped in diamonds.....awwww that's better.

0 comments: